Recently i am receiving a question frequently that is “What are the top 3 to 5 SEO areas where Webmaster makes the most mistakes and how can we do better on those?”
It is really good question and a lot of people might expect super advanced stuff but I’m going to give you what the biggest mistakes are by volume.
- The biggest mistake is not making your site not crawlable or not having a domain at all.There’s a ton of businesses who don’t actually have a website. If you have a website or have it locked up where people can’t find it all that easily that’s a big problem
So just click around on the website make sure that you can reach the pages on your site by clicking on regular links ideally a text browser but really just try to surf around and make sure you haven’t like hidden the good content away somewhere, where it’s really hard to find
2. The next one is include the right words on the page. Think about what the user is going to type and include those words. So you don’t want to just say Eiffel Tower elevation you want to say words like how high is Eiffel Tower, because people are going to type how high is Eiffel Tower.
We had a really good point not just including the right words on the page but thinking about, if you’re a restaurant include the menu put it in plain text not just a P.D.F to make sure that it is ex-tractable in the plain text somehow. Put your business hours on the page.
From going around and I know that he’s been talking to a ton of people on get American businesses online and even get other businesses around the world online. The biggest mistakes are not having a website, not making a crawl able that sort of one. And then not using the words on the page not describing what it is that you do, not you know including what these are going to search for.
3. The next thing, think about not link building that limits you to a certain mindset. Think about compelling content and marketing. As soon as you think my job is to build links for search engines, you’re really cutting off a lot of abundance things like talking to newspaper reporters.
whereas if you think about OK, First make something compelling for some reason why they really want to use your website and then think about the broader area of marketing that can include billboards, that can include pain for advertising and all that sort of stuff . Besides you can also include career clever guerilla marketing. You can include just reaching out to people in the community.
So only link building would not be your main focus or vision. You would try to think instead about, what you can do to market your website to make it better known within your society or target market or more broadly without only thinking about search engines.
4. Another good point is to think about the title and description of your really important pages. Make sure you have the right words on the page but you really should pay attention to your home page.
What is the title there? If you bookmark it are you going to be able to have users later on find exactly what it was or is it going to say untitled or is it going to say you knows something that people won’t even be able to find later?
Likewise your description can sometimes determine what shows up in your snippet and that determines whether people will be enticed into clicking. so you can hand various tests we experiment with different copy for the main description and it might not be worth it for every single page on your site. I know that that is a lot of work, but for the very high traffic sites. you want to not just create a great experience but you want to make something that people actually click on it when they see it in the search results.
So something that lets them know you’re going to have the answer that they’re looking for. Something that you know makes them understand this is this is a good resource.
5. And that would actually be my last thing “not using webmaster resources”
Google provides free Webmaster tools they also provide a blog you can read, lots of webmaster videos. Other search engines like Bing and yahoo also provide a lot of free resources you can use.
There’s a ton of information out there. On the web and there’s a ton of people who are interested in SEO, are interested in search and are happy to talk about your website and give you feedback.
So you can start using webmaster forum. Basically explore that space because there it’s almost like an iceberg. There are a lot of resources in their H.T.M.L. documentation, digging through Google webmasters and that can really help improve your site.
So just to recap make sure that:
- Your site is crawlable which includes having a domain name in the first place
- Include the right words on the page
- Include the words that people are actually going to type.
- Think about compelling content and marketing not just link building
- Think about title and description of your important pages
- And finally, be aware or investigate the free resources that are out there on the web because they can really help you improve your site which is going to make you more money and make your users more happy
I hope it will work. Thanks for reading.